There are many products that enable you to broadcast a live feed into Workvivo via our RTMPS server. This document covers general guidelines on how to configure apps to stream live to Workvivo.
Device(s): Desktop only to broadcast the livestream
Roles / Permissions: Livestreamer
Workvivo supports low latency (< 5 second) livestreaming that is compatible with most streaming applications with minimal configuration required. The following are the recommended settings for the lowest latency on your livestreams:
- For the video encoding, set the “Keyframe” or “IDR” to a 2 second interval (you can also set to 1 second for even lower latency, but you may see more buffering or dropped frames for viewers due to increased resolution switching on the adaptive bitrate streaming player we use for viewing Workvivo livestreams.
- If an option is available for “zero-latency tuning” within an x246 configuration, enable this.
- Ensure that buffer size (VBV) does not exceed the average bitrate (kbps) of the stream.
We strongly recommend you don’t use stream forwarding services to broadcast to Workvivo as these will cause significantly higher latency on your streams.
Always stream directly to Workvivo via RTMPS for the best results.
We support H.264 for video and AAC (LC) for audio, ingested over RTMPS using TLS 1.2 or later. Your encoder must connect to our endpoint over the TCP port 443. We recommend always including the port number in the RTMPS URL. We do not support broadcasting over a non-encrypted RTMP port.
The following are our recommendations for optimal bitrate, FPS and keyframe intervals:
- Full HD 1080p quality (1920x1080) Up to 8500 Kbps bitrate 30 or 60 fps 2 seconds keyframe interval
- HD 720p quality (1280x720) Up to 4500 Kbps bitrate 30 or 60 fps 2 seconds keyframe interval
- SD 480p quality (852x480) Up to 1500 Kbps bitrate 30 fps 2 seconds keyframe interval
For streaming video, we highly recommend 30 fps or 60 fps. If you are broadcasting a screen or motion video, we recommend 60 fps.
For video settings, we recommend the following options where available:
- H.264 level: Main
- Scene change: Off (preferred)
- Chroma subsample: YUV420P
- CABAC: Preferred
- ColorSpace: BT.709
For audio settings, we support the following:
- Codec: AAC (LC)
- Bitrate: 96 kbps to 320 kbps
- Sample rate: 44.1 Khz or 48 Khz
- Channels: Maximum 2 - Stereo (1 - Mono or 2 - Stereo)
We recommend using CBR (constant bitrate) over VBR (variable bitrate) to produce more predictable results. VBR will result in more frequent buffering and jittery playback.
Use progressive signal flows and avoid any interlaced video in production flow and/or encoding for best results.
A fast stable internet connection is an absolute must for high quality and stable livestreams. We recommend using wired connections over Wi-Fi and LTE connections for reliability. Avoid using a bitrate that is higher than 50% of what your total network connection speed can handle. For example, if you have an 8 Mbps network connection, don’t use a bitrate higher than 4 Mbps.