There is an Analytics dashboard available to Admins to help understand usage over time, for example, number of users per period, users per location, most active contributors, usage by device type etc.
Roles / Permissions: System Administrators
As a system Admin, click 'Analytics' on your User Menu.
This will open the 'Analytics & Reporting' window.
Change the Period filter to view usage over different periods - from the last 7 days to the last 365 days.
Note: There is a 24 hour delay on the information displayed in the dashboard as the usage analytics are retrospective.
Usage Analytics provides information on:
- Active Users per time period
- Most Active Users (posting and interaction)
- Usage by Device / Operating System / Browser
- Users / Posts / Likes / Comments by time of day
- Users by Location / Department / Team type
Each time a user accesses the Activity page (homepage), an 'activity feed load' is captured by Workvivo.
Each time a user scrolls to see more information and the screen / page refreshes to load more content, another activity feed load is captured for that user. Workvivo uses this information to build the below charts and graphs.
Active Users Curved Line Graph
In the Active Users Curved Line Graph, you can see the total unique users that
accessed the platform at least once during the selected period. Note that even if a user accessed Workvivo multiple times per day, they are only recorded once in this graph for that day.
In this example, the period filter is set to ‘Last 28 days’ and the total unique Active Users was 7,952, an increase of 11.9% on the previous 28 day period i.e. month on month.
You can review the usage trends over time. The continuous green line shows results for the selected period. The dotted purple line shows results for that day in the previous period.
As an example, if we hover over the line graph on March 4, we can see that 1009 users accessed the platform that day. This is an increase on the 720 users who accessed the platform 28 days prior to March 4.
In this example, you can see that usage was generally higher in the
current period compared to the previous period.
Time of Day Heat Map
The heat map on the right-hand side of the Analytics & Reporting screen shows the variation in usage or interaction throughout the day. The time slots which have the highest number of unique users / interactions are darker in colour.
By selecting an appropriate period filter, you can identify trends or pinpoint a spike in activity brought about by a particular event e.g. new article published, team shout-out.
In this heat map for example, the period filter is set as ‘Last 14 days’ and the heat map filter set as USERS.
- From the heat map, we could presume that a news article or other notification released at 8am on Tuesday morning generated much interest and increased traffic to the platform
- We can also see that users are active on the platform most regularly on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The most active time period is 11am - 2pm Monday to Thursday.
- 1-2pm is a popular time every day (Monday to Friday). From this we could conclude that employees check for the latest updates at lunch time. Content Managers and Communications Leads should aim to post new content before 9am and throughout the morning to catch a large audience.
Tip: Hover over any time slot to see the number of unique users active.
Usage By Device/Browser
Each time a user accesses the Activity page (homepage), an 'activity feed load' is captured by Workvivo. Each time a user scrolls to see more information and the screen / page refreshes to load more content, another activity feed load is captured for that user.
In this chart, you will see the breakdown of usage i.e. the number of activity feed loads captured on a particular browser, device or operating system.
- Usage By Browser - If 95% of usage was via Chrome, 95% of all activity feed loads in that time period were captured on the Chrome browser. This does not mean that 95% of users were using Chrome as there could be a handful of users very active on other browsers.
- Usage by Device - If 82.5% of usage was via Mobile and 17.5% via Web, this means that 82.5% of all activity feed loads in that time period were logged in on the mobile app. This could have been any number of people e.g. 50 users who were very active on the mobile app vs. 300 users who were less active on the web version. It does not mean that 82.5% of all users were using the mobile app in that time period.
Excluding Teams from Usage Analytics
It is possible to exclude certain Teams from Usage Analytics and Space Analytics if your business policies or requirements necessitate it.
Users in these teams will be excluded from Active Users dashboards and charts, system generated Reports, etc.
Speak with your Workvivo point of contact to learn more.