Surveys are a great way to take a temperature check of your organization and to gather feedback. It's easy to create and release a Survey to all staff or to particular team(s).
Users can submit their responses on web or mobile.
Surveys can only be set up by system Admins on desktop.
Device(s): Desktop for setup, users can view and submit on mobile app or web
Roles / Permissions: Admins
Creating a new Survey
To create a new survey:
- Go to Admin Dashboard
- Open the Surveys tab
- Click “New Survey”
- Name the survey in the Label field
- Provide a description - this is what people will see when they open the survey and it's the text that will show in the Survey launch email
- Choose the start date (the date on which the survey will launch)
- Top Tip: Choose a date far in the future while drafting your Survey. You don't want the survey to launch before you're ready!
- Choose the end date (the date on which the survey will close
- Click “Save”
- In the next section, click “Add Questions” and the list of pre-created Question Themes appear
Workvivo has a pre-created Question bank with questions across different themes:
- 12 Engagement drivers
- Engagement level
- Fun questions
- Qualitative questions
If you need to add new questions or themes, you can do so easily. Check out our article: Creating New Themes & Questions
These are the Engagement driver themes with sample questions for the Career Development theme:
If you're hoping to measure Employee Engagement, to simplify your analysis and to increase the response rate, we recommended selecting:
- 1 question from the Engagement Level theme - this shows overall sentiment
- 1 question from the Qualitative theme - this ensures staff can give their feedback in a free-text response
- 3 questions from the same Engagement Driver theme
- Up to 7 questions in total
If you click on any Theme in the list, it will expand to show the questions.
Once you have selected questions, click “Add”.
The list of selected questions will then appear.
You can reorder the questions using the up and down arrows and remove them if required.
Top Tip: The first question appears in the main activity feed so choose an engaging or fun question to entice people to start the survey.
Choosing your Audience
To choose your audience, scroll to the end of the Survey Questions section and click “Select Audience”.
You can choose to issue the survey to the entire organisation or to one or more Teams (as setup in in your People Directory). Teams are typically Departments and Locations.
Spaces cannot currently be selected as a Survey audience.
- Click “Finish” to save the Survey once you have selected your audience.
- Once saved, the survey will appear in the list in the Surveys tab in the Admin Dashboard, it will show as Scheduled if its start date is in the future.
- If the survey hasn’t started yet, you have the option to Start, Edit or Delete the survey.
- From this tab, you can view the names, scheduled period and audience of ongoing or finished surveys
- You can create and schedule a new Survey
- You can send a reminder for a survey that is currently running or you can also End it
Important Things to Note
- Once a survey has launched, the survey itself and the questions used in the survey cannot be edited. This is to maintain the integrity of any responses submitted
- The people included in the audience group will not change once the Survey is running i.e. if a new person is added to the platform, they will not be invited or have the option to complete an open Survey. Similarly, if a person moves to another Team that has a Survey open for them, they will not be asked to complete the survey nor will they have access to do so
- When completing a survey, all questions are mandatory and cannot be skipped by the user
- Responses are saved once submitted for each question. This means that a user can start the survey, submit some responses, close out of the survey and reopen it at a later time to complete their submission if needed