An exciting way to introduce new and existing employees to their colleagues!
Workvivo’s “Say Hi” feature is an essential tool for any company that values a connected and engaged organization.
New employees are guided through their first post on the platform by way of a series of questions that prompt them to upload a video introducing themselves to the company. The post is then automatically shared with their colleagues, based on team and location.
Device(s): Desktop (Admin features), Web and Mobile (Employee features)
Roles / Permissions: System Admin and Employee
Creating a Group
To get started with the “Say Hi” feature you must first create a group. A group is a way to define the best practices for an employee introduction. A group consists of an audience, some guidelines on how to create a “Say Hi”, and some inspiration to help make the process a little easier.
- From the Administration screen, navigate to the “Workvivo Moments: Say Hi” tab
- Click "New Group"
- From this next screen (Group Details), provide the group with a title and audience
- Click "Next"
Note: By default, you must first create a global group, doing this ensures that all employees have the opportunity to create a “Say Hi” even if they are not assigned to a specific team or location. However, if you decide that you only want employees from specific teams or locations to have the ability to create a “Say Hi”, you can create the appropriate groups and toggle off the global one.
Setting the Questions
From the Questions screen, you have the ability to add a group of questions. These will be used to help guide the employee through the creation of their “Say Hi”.
There are two ways to add questions:
- Click “Add Custom Question” to create your own question
- Enter your question into the text field
- Click “Add”
- Click: “Add Suggested Question” to add questions from a bank of provided questions
- A list of sample questions split into two categories:
- Quick Fire Questions
- Personal Questions
- You can add as many questions as you like
- Click “Add”
- Once questions have been added, they can be reviewed
- From this screen you can:
- Remove questions by clicking the “Remove” button
- Reorder questions using the drag and drop method
- Once you have completed this, click “Next”
We suggest that you include 3 - 6 optional questions that provide the employee with a balanced mix of work specific and personal insightful questions.
- What do you love most about your role?
- What TV show are you binge watching?
- Show us something in the room that you are in and tell us the story behind it
- 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s: Which decade do you love the most and why?
Uploading Guidelines & Tutorials
From the Uploads screen, you have the ability to provide some text guidelines to help employees through creating their “Say Hi”.
Note: Default text is provided which encourages employees to create a short video. This text is only suggested and can be overwritten by you. This text has a limit of 700 characters.
- You can upload a sample “Say Hi” video to inspire employees and give them an example of what is expected
Once you are happy, click “Save” to save the group and return to the Administration Screen.
- We have found that for best results, the description text should be friendly and welcoming (remember this is a great way to build a positive and lasting impression with a new employee)
- For most employees, 30 seconds is the ideal video duration but remind them that the length of the video is their choice
- Providing a video example of a colleague's “Say Hi” video is a great way to ease any anxiety a new employee might have about recording a video of themselves
- To make the most of this great feature we suggest that you upload a video of your CEO (or any appropriate leader in your organization) welcoming new employees to the company and giving their own “Say Hi”. Check out this video of Workvivo CEO John Goulding using the “Say Hi” feature to great effect!
Once your groups are created you can view them all from the Overview tab in the administration screen.
- From here you can edit or delete a group via the “Manage” dropdown menu for each group
- Each group can be toggled on or off depending on your needs. When a group is toggled on, the following will happen for new and existing employees in that audience
- Existing Employees - will have the ability to add a “Say Hi” via their profile page
- New Employees - will automatically receive a notification inviting them to create a “Say Hi” via their profile page. The notification is triggered at 8.30 am on Thursdays for employees who joined the audience within the last seven days
Multiple Question Groups
Most organizations will set up question groups based on location or team function (sales, marketing, operations, etc). However, if you set up question groups for both locations and teams, and an employee falls under more than one group, which question group will apply to that user?
Gerry has the following taxonomies:
- Location: Ireland
- Team: Development
- Team: Operations
In the example below, there are five groups set up including a default global group. Gerry falls under three of the five enabled groups: Global, Irish Employees, and Operations Team. So which question set will Gerry see when he uploads his “Say Hi”?
Enabled Member of
Say Hi Group
YES YES ✅
Gerry will receive the question set for the first enabled group that he belongs to after the default global group. Therefore he will receive the questions for the “Irish Employees” group.
- You can keep track of new employees who have been invited to create a “Say Hi” via the Employees tab on the administration screen
- From here you can see which new employees have completed their “Say Hi” and who have not
- You can also send individual reminder notifications to employees by clicking “Send reminder”
Note: The screen in the below screenshot will contain a list of users who have started in the last 7 days and are members of a team which has a valid and active say hi group.
A notification will fire to new joiners every Thursday morning if they are in a team with an active say hi group.
Creating a “Say Hi” - For the Employees
Providing a user (new or existing) belongs to an audience that has an active “Say Hi” group associated with it, they will have the ability to upload their own “Say Hi” to their profile.
The easiest way to do this is by clicking on the “Create a Say Hi” button on the profile widget on the activity homepage.
- Navigate to the “Workvivo Moments: Say Hi” tab on the Edit Profile page
- View the description text
- View the sample questions
- View the attached sample tutorial
- When you have created your “Say Hi”, simply upload it to this screen either by choosing the file or using the drag-and-drop functionality
- Click Save
Note: For best results, the video should be recorded in landscape mode.
Alternative to video: If an employee is not in a position to upload a video, they will have the alternative option to upload an image plus text.
Note: The limit for the 'Say Hi' text is 255 characters
Viewing a “Say Hi”
Once a “Say Hi” is uploaded it will be available to view in three separate areas of the application.
- A post will automatically appear on the activity feeds of any person who shares the same team(s) as the uploader
- All “Say Hi” posts will be available from the employee’s profile card in the people directory. This is a great way for any new employee joining a company to learn more about their colleagues and build richer connections
- An employee's “Say Hi” will be accessible on their profile page under the profile tab
Note: The employee can delete or replace their “Say Hi” at any time.