Workvivo has a pre-created Question bank focused on Employee Engagement with questions across different themes:
- 12 Engagement drivers
- Engagement level
- Fun questions
- Qualitative questions
Surveys, however, are multi-purpose and you could also use them to gather ideas for business improvement or feedback on particular initiatives for example.
If you need to use a survey for a different purpose, or want to use your organization's standard engagement survey questions, you can easily add new questions or themes to the pre-existing bank.
Workvivo currently only supports one response type per question. These can be single-select options (i.e. users can choose one option from a list) or free-text responses (i.e. users can write a response).
Multi-select response types are not supported on the platform. For example, you can't ask a user to 'select all that apply' or 'choose your top two from the list below'.
It's not possible to have combination response types. For example, it's not possible to ask a user to "Select Yes or No and leave a comment if you choose No" as this would be single-select and free-text response types in the one question.
Device(s): Desktop for setup, users can view and submit on mobile app or web
Roles / Permissions: Admins
Creating a New Category
If a category doesn't exist already, or if you want to create new questions that are unrelated to an existing category, you should create a new category.
- To create a new category, click “Edit Questions” in the Surveys tab and navigate to the “Categories” tab. Then click “Add Category”.
- Name the new category and select “Save”
- The new category will then appear in the Categories list
Creating New Questions
- Once a suitable category is created or available, you can add questions to it. To create a new question, click "Survey Questions" from the Surveys tab
- Click “Add Question" - you can do this from the “Questions” tab (image 1 below) or from within a specific category in the “Categories” tab
- The “Add Question” form will open
- When adding a new question, select the category from the drop-down menu and input the question text. The example shown here is a new question within the category Engagement driver: 'Resources'
- Then choose the response type from the pre-defined list.
To add a response type, choose an option from the drop-down menu. There are numerous options available, please see common response types below for context. The range or scale of values for each response type is indicated within the response type description.
Once you are happy with the category, question text and response type, click “Save”.
Frequently used response types:
- Freeform text - allows qualitative feedback
- Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree scale, where Agree is Positive
- Emojis - Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree
- Numbered scale (eg 0-10 NPS scale)
Custom Response Type
You can also create your own custom Response Types.
See worked example of creating a 0-8 scale below:
- From the survey manager home screen, click “Edit Questions” and then navigate to the “Responses” tab
- Click “Add Response”
- Fill in the response title and select a Response Type (you can choose either “Text” or “Multiple Choice”)
- If you choose “Multiple Choice” you will then be prompted to add response options
- Click “Add Response Options” and fill in the details on the response option modal. In this case we are just building a numbered scale, but you also have the option to upload images where appropriate
- Keep adding more response options until you have your entire scale filled out. Here is what it looks like with our first two options populated;
- When you’re done you can preview your new Response from the “Responses” menu and start using it in new questions
For more information on surveys check out our additional Survey articles here