Surveys are a great way to take a temperature check of your organization and to gather feedback. It's easy to create and release a Survey to all staff or to particular team(s). Users can submit their responses on web or mobile.
Device(s): Desktop, Mobile (to view and/or submit a Survey)
Roles / Permissions: System Admin
Note: Surveys can only be set up by system Admins on desktop.
Creating a new Survey
- Navigate to the Admin dashboard
- Open the Surveys tab
- Click "New Survey"
- Name the survey in the Title field
- Choose the start date (the date on which the survey will launch)
- Top Tip: Choose a date far in the future while drafting your Survey. You don't want the survey to launch before you're ready!
- Choose the end date (the date on which the survey will close)
- Provide a description - this is what people will see when they open the Survey and it will show in the Survey launch email
- To choose your audience click “Select Audience”
- You can choose to issue the survey to the entire organisation or to one or more Teams (as setup in your People Directory) - these are typically Departments and Locations
- Note: Spaces cannot currently be selected as a Survey audience
- Click "Next"
- In the next section, click “Add Questions” and the list of pre-created Question Categories will appear
Workvivo has pre-created a Question Bank across the below themes:
- 12 Engagement drivers
- Engagement level
- Fun questions
- Qualitative questions
If you need to add new questions or themes, check out our article on Creating New Categories, Questions & Response Types
Below are examples of the 'Engagement driver' themes:
Sample questions for the Engagement driver "Career Development":
- Top Tip: Click ‘View Responses’ to get a quick preview of the full question, just how your audience will see it
If you're hoping to measure Employee Engagement, to simplify your analysis and to increase the response rate, we recommended selecting:
- One question from the Engagement Level theme - this shows overall sentiment
- One question from the Qualitative theme - this ensures staff can give their feedback in a free-text response
- Three questions from the same Engagement Driver theme
- Up to seven questions in total
Click “Add Questions” and the list of pre-created Question Categories appears:
If you click on any Category in the list, it will expand to show the questions:
- Once you have selected questions, click "Add"
- From here you can preview the entire survey, add new questions and delete existing ones
- Top Tip: The first question appears in the main activity feed so choose an engaging or fun question to entice people to start the survey
- You can reorder questions by clicking "Sort Questions"
- Once saved, the survey will appear in the Surveys tab in the Admin Dashboard, it will show as Scheduled if its start date is in the future
- From this tab, you can view the names, scheduled period and audience of scheduled, ongoing or finished surveys
- If the survey hasn’t started yet, you have the option to Start, Edit or Delete the survey
- If a survey is currently running you can send a reminder to the survey audience. You can also edit the survey in order to push out the end date, or end the survey now by clicking "End"
Important Things to Note
- Once a survey has launched, the survey itself and the questions used in the survey cannot be edited. This is to maintain the integrity of any responses submitted
- The people included in the audience group will not change once the Survey is running i.e. if a new person is added to the platform, they will not be invited or have the option to complete an open Survey. Similarly, if a person moves to another Team that has a Survey open for them, they will not be asked to complete the survey nor will they have access to do so
- When completing a survey, all questions are mandatory and cannot be skipped by the user
- Responses are saved once submitted for each question. This means that a user can start the survey, submit some responses, close out of the survey and reopen it at a later time to complete their submission if needed