Short bursts of video (ideally no longer than 60-90 seconds) can be a hugely powerful and memorable way to capture an update or tell a story. With a good smartphone, making professional-looking videos is very easy and straightforward.
Device(s): Videos can be uploaded to / embedded in a post on desktop and mobile
Roles / Permissions: Every user can share a video
There are 2 ways to share a video in a post:
- Uploading a file (.mp4 or .mov)
- Embedding a video (YouTube or Vimeo URL)
You can upload high-resolution videos - as big as 4K! Below are some considerations to take into account when uploading your video to Workvivo:
- .mp4 format is preferred, .mov is supported, .wmv is not supported
- Optimal video dimensions: 1280x720
- Make sure your video has a nice thumbnail so that it engages from the activity feed
- Upload speed varies based on internet speed and file size. Do not refresh your browser / close the tab / close the app while uploading
- Size must not exceed 5GB
Note: Only one video can be uploaded per post
- Click the “What’s going on” box at the top of your Workvivo activity feed
- Type your message
- Select the “Upload a File” option
- Choose “Video” and select the video file
- Wait for the video to upload
- Choose your audience
- Post when ready
Once the video is posted, you will see a 'Please Stand By' message while the video processes. Your post is hidden from other users until the video processing has completed.
Videos are uploaded by clicking the “Upload” button on the update creation window on the mobile app. You can then click "Upload Video" and browse your device library to find the perfect video for your shout-outs / value updates / polls.
Videos can be embedded in a post if you paste the URL from YouTube or Vimeo. To embed a video:
- Click 'What's going on?'
- Type your message
- Paste the URL
- Wait a few seconds for the video to appear
- You can delete the URL text to make it look neater
The video will now be available to play in-app.
Subtitles are available on videos uploaded to the feed. Once a video has been uploaded, the language spoken in the video will be automatically detected and subtitles for that language will display as an overlay on the video.
Subtitles will display by default but can be turned on/off directly from the video player using the CC button.
- The form of transcription provided on videos is subtitles and not close captions
- Subtitles are machine generated and therefore may not always be 100% accurate
- If the language can not be detected, or if the quality of the transcription is too low, no subtitles will display
- Subtitles are not currently available on videos outside of the feed e.g. Gallery, Articles etc.
- Subtitles will only display for the primary language detected
- Translated subtitles are not yet available
Do you want to increase viewership on your most important video content? Then video thumbnails could be just what you need.
The video thumbnail feature allows you to attach a captivating image to your video. These images can serve as a call to action and can result in higher click rates for your video.
When uploading a video, you will be presented with a button “Set Thumbnail”.
When the “Set Thumbnail” button is clicked, you will have the option to upload an image.
Once the video has been posted to the feed, the thumbnail will be visible.
Remember you can always change the thumbnail by editing the post and clicking the “Edit Thumbnail” button.
- Thumbnails are currently only available on activity feed uploads
- Thumbnails will only display if “auto-play videos” is turned off
- The ideal dimensions for thumbnail images is 1920x1080
- Be creative, thumbnails are a fun way to draw users attention