Sub Spaces are a great way to:
- Create space hierarchies with easier navigation between those spaces
- Create groups of related spaces across regions etc.
- Improve space discovery
- Improve space management
Parent and child spaces work independently of each other. A child space does not inherit members or show the same content. This means that:
- content posted to a parent space does not appear in its child spaces
- the child space does not have the same members as the parent
If a space has sub spaces they appear in a ‘Sub Spaces’ widget in the space on desktop.
They will also appear under the Sub Spaces section.
Device(s): Desktop (Sub spaces visible to all on desktop and mobile)
Roles/Permissions: Sys Admins and Space Managers - Space Owners/Admins cannot set up sub spaces
Making an Existing Space a Sub Space
To create a subspace or set up a parent child relationship between one space and another, open the space that should be the parent.
- Click on the Sub Spaces section of the 'parent' space
- You will see the hierarchy
- "Add Existing Spaces" if you want to introduce a relationship between this space and another existing space
- Click "Add New Space" if you want to introduce a relationship between this space and a new space you are going to create
- In this example we are going to choose 'Add Existing Spaces'. Select the relevant space from the list that appears
- You will now see a new child space within the hierarchy on the left hand side
- When you open the space, you will also see the hierarchy in the path above the Space Name
Removing a Sub Space
- To remove a sub space /break the relationship between a parent and child, open the Sub Spaces section of any space in the hierarchy
- Click on the 3 dots beside the space you wish to remove from the hierarchy and choose "Remove from...."
Moving a Sub Space
- To move a sub space from one space to another, open the Sub Spaces section of any space in the hierarchy
- Click on the 3 dots beside the space you wish to move and choose "Move under a different Space..."
- Select the desired space from the list
- If you have chosen a space within the same hierarchy, you will then see the space in the same Sub Spaces section. Otherwise you will have to navigate to that space