Spaces are micro-communities that enable employees to interact and collaborate across locations and departments. Some even refer to spaces as a 'Workvivo within a Workvivo'!
- A space is also a great way to centralise related information, updates and tips for easier discovery and reference at a later date.
- A space could be seen as a virtual noticeboard - people gravitate towards them to get the latest news or updates and freely contribute content.
- Just like a noticeboard, a space should also be kept up to date so a little housekeeping may be required by Space Owners - both in terms of keeping content fresh and dynamic but also helping to set the direction of the space.
How do I see space content?
- Content posted to spaces you are a member of appears in your main activity feed, providing a highly personal experience.
- Spaces can be public or private.
- Spaces can also be Corporate or Community.
Within the Spaces section, you'll see a navigation menu on the left-hand side which is divided into three sections:
- Spaces personal to you
- All Spaces
- Space discovery - to help you find more spaces that you may be interested in joining
Space Type: Corporate Spaces
Corporate Spaces are spaces that leadership have chosen to promote. They have relevance across the organization or across numerous functions. These are typically set up as default spaces for the entire organization or for different teams so that many people are automatically a member.
Corporate Spaces are always Public so that everyone can see content and join if they wish.
Space Type: Community Spaces
Community Spaces are micro-communities or interest groups that can be public or private.
Public Space: A Public Space is where any user can view the content of a Public space without being a member
Private Space: In a Private space a user must be a member before they can view its content. To become a member, they must be invited to join the space or request access from the Space Owner
Hidden Space: Only Admins, members and those who have been invited to the space will see this space in the Spaces section.
Typically, any user can create a Community space and set is as Public or Private. In your organisation, you might have restricted space creation controls to system Admins and or system Space Managers only.
Once you are a member of a space, any content published to that space will appear in your main activity feed. You may be a member of some spaces by default based on your department, skillset, location, or involvement in particular initiatives or projects.
If there are other spaces that are of interest or relevance to you, you should join those spaces.
- To join a Public space, you can find the space and click "Join Space" from the space card in the space section or you can open that space and click "Join Space"
- You can then choose to mark it as a 'Starred' space (a favorite) and or subscribe to space notifications so that you get alerted to new updates
- To join a Private space, you must request access from the owner.
- Open the space and click "Request to Join / Request Access"
- The owner will receive a notification that you have requested to join.
- Once they have approved your request, you become a member and can choose to mark it as a 'Starred' space (a favorite) and subscribe to space notifications.
- If there isn't a business need for you to be a member of the space, your request may be rejected by the owner.