Spaces are micro-communities or interest groups where colleagues can come together, share information, knowledge and good news stories.
Regardless of the space type, content posted to a Space will also appear in the personal activity feed of all its members. This provides each Workvivo user with a highly customized experience.
Devices: Desktop for space set up and management, Desktop and Mobile for viewing space content
Roles: Typically, any user can create a Community space and set is as Public or Private. Only system Admins or Space Managers can create Corporate Spaces.
In your organization, there might be restricted space creation controls so that only system Admins and /or Space Managers can create spaces.
There are two main types of Spaces - Corporate and Community Spaces - and each have different access controls.
Some examples of corporate and community spaces
- Corporate Spaces are set up by system Admins.
- These appear at the top of the Spaces section as they have relevancy across the organisation or numerous functions.
- The "CORPORATE" label can be changed to another term if it's more suitable for your organization e.g. "Business", "Promoted", "Company"
- Corporate spaces must be Public
- If allowed in your organization, any user can create a public or private Community space.
- Note: It can also be restricted so that only Sys Admins or Space Managers can create a space.
- These are typically spaces for interest groups or functional groups.
- Community spaces can be public or private. (A system Admin could also set up a Hidden Community space if desired by your organization.)
- Public space: Any user can view the content of a Public space without being a member
- Private space: Private spaces are visible in the Spaces section but a user must be a member of a Private space in order to view its content. To become a member, they must be invited to join the space or request to join through the Space Owner
- If enabled for your organization, you may also have a Hidden Community Space. A hidden space is only visible in the Spaces section to system Admins and its members. Only members can see its content. As an example, Hidden Spaces could be used by discrete working groups, for a team planning to reveal an initiative at a later date, or for a function that does not exist in all locations for that company e.g. Sports and Social Club
Navigating and Discovering Spaces
By default, the Spaces section is filtered to "My Spaces" with Corporate Spaces appearing at the top of the Spaces section and Community Spaces (public and private) showing after these.
When the "All" chip filter is selected, Spaces are sorted by "Most Popular" - these spaces are ordered by their member count (highest to lowest).
Understanding the Spaces Menu
The Spaces menu shows:
- My Spaces - spaces you're joined to
- Starred Spaces - spaces you've marked as favorites
- Manage Spaces - any space(s) that you are the owner or admin of
- All Spaces - a list of all spaces in your company
- Corporate Spaces - see below for more info on Corporate Spaces
- Community Spaces - see below for more info on Community spaces
- Trending Spaces - Trending spaces are all spaces, ordered by which spaces have had the most activities (updates, shoutouts, events, etc) in the past two days. Note: Their order is updated once per day at 1:45am GMT.
- Suggested Spaces - These are spaces suggested to a user to join based on certain keywords in the Space name. The keywords used in the logic are:
- The user's job title
- The user's team names (department and or location)
- The space names the user is a member of already
- Manage Default Spaces - by clicking on the filter icon you can bring up the right side navigation bar, where you can Manage Default Spaces.
Check out our spaces section here for further information on Spaces.